Amtakaful Appoints Wan Zamri Ceo

SUMMARY

KUALA LUMPUR AmTakaful Sdn Bhd, the Islamic insurance arm of AMMB Holdings Bhd, has appointed Wan Zamri Wan Zain as its chief executive officer. Wan Zamri was formerly the chief executive officer of AIA Takaful International Bhd.

 
FREE EXCERPT

AmTakaful is the last of the four joint venture companies that received family takaful licence from the regulators about a year ago.

In the joint venture for the takaful licence, AMMB holds a 70 per cent stake while the remaining 30 per cent is held by Friends Provident Group plc of the United Kingdom.

Its is understood that AmTakaful has yet to receive its operating licence from Bank Negara Malaysia.

The company was expected to start operations during the second quarter of this year but has yet to make any formal announcement to date.

During AMMB's annual general meeting in September 2010, group managing director Cheah Tek Kuang said that the takaful business would start in June 2011.

"We are giving ourselves nine months to get started," he said then.

However, a random check last month revealed that the takaful operator had set up an official website but has since been withdrawn from the web.

The website claimed the company has "over 3,500 experienced professional agents, significant number of whom are already trained and authorised to sell takaful products".

It also listed eight products for its potential customers inclu- ding an education, mortgage-reducing...

To continue reading

REQUEST YOUR FREE TRIAL